Getting Started: Building a workflow step from scratch
Workflows are step-by-step guides to help the technician gather the proper information for each type of job they will encounter onsite.
Before technicians can start using the workflows to improve their process you need to design and build the workflows that they will be using.
In this article, we will cover how to build a workflow step from scratch.
To learn how to build a workflow please review this article: Getting Started: How to build a Workflow.
To learn how to build a workflow using a workflow template review this article: How to build a workflow step using templates
Follow the steps below:
1. Go to Workflows, under the Administration tab, add a new workflow or edit an existing workflow.
2. Select Add Step in the bottom right-hand corner.
3. Select Create from scratch.
4. By default the Step Type will be Content Only. Select the drop-down to choose from our other step types.
Content Only: Images, videos, and notes.
Yes/No: Yes/No questions.
Multiple Choice: Answer questions with a pre-determined list of answers.
Numeric: Provide numeric answers.
Short Text: Provide up to 80 characters to answer the question.
Date: Answer questions with a date.
Review the Additional Information section at the end of this article to learn more about these.
5. Fill in the Step Question with the question you want to be answered.
6. Use this area to provide additional instructions and examples on how to fill out the step to lessen confusion for your technicians. Additionally, you can upload an example image, instructional video, or PDF.
7. Establish Content Usage.
- Share content with customers and other external viewers: When a job is shared with a Public Job Link this content will be included.
- Add content directly to the Knowledge Base: The content provided in this step will be added directly to your organization's Knowledge Base.
8. Establish Content Requirements.
- Photo or video required: A photo or video must be provided before the workflow can be finished.
- Note required: A note must be provided before the workflow can be finished.
- Transcript approval Required: If a video is taken the technician must review and approve the transcription pulled from the video.
9. Choose Media-Post Uploading Processing.
- Extract text from dataplate images: Using OCR (Optical Character Recognition) serial, make, and model numbers will be pulled from the image(if readable).
- Transcribe speech from videos: Audio will be pulled from the video provided and turned into a transcription.
- Allow Vision Live Recordings: If using Vision Live this step will allow calls to be recorded to this step.
11. Establish a Reporting Category: This will help organize the content provided in this step into categories.
12. Notification Contacts: Instead of having someone notified when the entire workflow is used, you can have an individual contacted when a particular step is used. For Yes/No & Multiple Choice steps, this area will be closer to the top of the step.
13. Select Add Step.
Your step is now ready to use for your workflow.
14. When you are done editing your workflow press Save in the bottom right-hand corner. Your workflow changes will be saved and live the next time a user selects it for a job.
Based on the Step Type chosen; Content Usage, Content Requirements, Media-Post Uploading Process, and Miscellaneous may have other options.
How to build a Content Workflow step
How to build a Yes/No Workflow step
How to build a Multiple Choice Workflow step
How to build a Numeric Workflow step
How to build a Short Text Workflow step
How to build a Date Workflow step
How do I add notifications to a workflow?
Please sign in to leave a comment.